Friday, September 30, 2011

Affective Dimensions of Writing

I have always considered myself a writer. I have always been a story teller. There’s a video of me when I was only a few months old and I am babbling like crazy to my dad, very intently telling him a story. This never ceased. I continued to write stories and poems until my sophomore year in college- life just got too busy. In high school I loved writing stories because I could make the story go anywhere I wanted it. Usually my writing reflected what I was going through and how I wanted it to end up. I wrote down everything I could. I still have my first grade notebook with my journal and writing assignments. I loved writing notes and letters. I find writing to be incredibly personal. I love how writing solidifies a thought. I like journals better than photo albums because writing allows for much more depth and meaning. I love struggling to find the perfect words to make a great sentence or to express a strong emotion. I love the challenge of packaging one emotion into a short poem. When I discovered poetry I ran with it. I’m not sure where I was exposed to poetry other than Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes but I had an incredible knack for rhyming (my large vocabulary from all my reading helped) and my rhythm was impeccable. Unfortunately I stopped improving in about 8th grade. I wish I had received more training in writing poetry and short stories.

Currently, my writing includes many e-mails to my family a day, lots of texts to my husband, the occasional blog post, and many Facebook statuses. I actually started to think in Facebook statuses for a while. I still love to write letters, but I don't have anyone to write right now. I do leave notes for my husband all over. Occasionally I will be inspired to write a poem, but it usually doesn't go very far. When I'd write in high school it was usually about a boy who had done something stupid but ever since met my husband I haven't had anything to complain about in a poem.
In school I loved to be creative. Even when I was assigned a formal essay I still managed to work in my voice and make it more conversational. I loved being able to choose my own style and express myself that way. I can use this with my students by allowing them choices on how to format writing assignments. I never really disliked writing. Writing was the best way I could express myself. I could get done all m thoughts and then refine them over time- something I wish I could do when talking.

All in all I love writing. My dream would be to publish something as big as Harry Potter, but my writing talents are more in the capacity of short stories. Maybe one day I'll publish a collection of my stories, but for now, journaling satisfies my need to write.

If I Could Say (written my senior year in high school)
Oh if I could say the things I feel so strongly now,
I’d shock your mind; I’d break your heart-
…You’d feel my wrath somehow.
I’d build you up, let you plummet down
You’d choke up blood…suffocate to death

Blindly you’d see the glories in heaven
Then I’d inflict all the glories of hell
You’d feel my furious winter flames burn
And wither in the drought of summer.
You’d smell the rain and anticipate relief-
But only rancid rank would fill your mouth.

My words would make you drown!

Oh, If I could say the things I feel so strongly now,
I know they would slit your precious throat.
You’d feel my wrath, I know.

Ah, but it is late and I am tired.
I, too, need my rest.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. WOW...great poem and wonderful reflection. Your students will be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete