Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Class Synthesis

This class has been very eye opening for how to incorporate literacy. Being in FACS, I didn't think I needed to teach my students to read a write but I realized that my content is actually very difficult literacy-wise. There are recipes, patterns, and theories that are all very different from regular schooling. I didn't realize how much vocabulary could effect literacy. As a teacher I will now be sure to go over specific vocab words and make sure the students understand them. I will also incorporate a lot more writing than I originally was going to because I had the common thought that they get it in all their other classes. I don't have to have them write essays necessarily, but I can have them write reflections and I will correct grammar and give them feedback. One thing I think would be fun would be to have a class magazine that they put together. A lot of careers use writing more than they realize. The people who write articles for food and design magazines are chefs and designers. I think the students would have fun creating a class magazine featuring their food and an article about it.

I will be a lot more deliberate about incorporating reading, writing, and technology in my classes now.

1 comment:

  1. I love that the word you used is "deliberate". This is a great synthesis of your learning...

    ReplyDelete